Do you want to make your content more appealing and interactive? You can enrich it by adding videos to your units! There are two ways you can do this:
- Upload your videos to the lesson’s file manager. While editing the unit place the mouse where you want to insert the video. Open the file manager, search for the video you want to add and simply click on the blue arrow: The video is now inserted and you can change its dimensions by dragging its edges. Otherwise you can use the editor’s button to specify the dimensions: You can even select the player that will be used through this window:
- If you have already uploaded your video files in YouTube for example, you can embed them in eFront directly. All you need to do is to find your video in YouTube, click to share and then select the embed option:
You can change the videos dimensions through this page or by switching back to editor mode you can resize your file by dragging its edges.
That’s it! Save your unit and you are ready to go.
Some tips you can use to make your embedded videos look better:
By using HTML you can specify several parameters for your embedded file. Here are some examples:
We have edited the YouTube embed code as such:
<p><iframe width=”800″ height=”530″ style=”display: block; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;”src=”http://www.youtube.com/embed/UpONzeZAmc?rel=0&iv_load_policy=3&modestbranding=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=0&wmode=transparent&vq=hd720&autoplay=1″ frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=”"></iframe></p>
- rel=0: in order to remove related videos from the end of the video I insert “&” then “rel=0″.
- iv_load_policy=3 Setting to 3 will cause video annotation to not be shown by default.
- showsearch=0: Setting to 0 disables the search box from displaying when the video is minimized. Note that if the rel parameter is set to 0 then the search box will also be disabled, regardless of the value of showsearch.
- showinfo=0: To hide the YouTube header bar insert the character “&” and “showinfo=0″
- autoplay=1: it allows for a video to immediately start when a page loads (the value “1″ enables this). To insert this into the embed code, you would simply use the “?” character and then “autoplay=1″
You can find many more tips here: https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters
About the Author
Eleftheria Papatheodorou is responsible for after sales support, customer training and beta testing at Epignosis (eFront). She holds a BSc in Management Science and Technology from Athens University of Economics and Business. She can be reached via Twitter @foyska or LinkedIn.
Our Technical Director, Athanasios Papagelis, recently gave a talk to introduce Talent LMS – the ‘new, cloud based, lean LMS that emphasizes usability and easy course creation’. Please check out his presentation here!
Many of our readers may not be familiar with Epignosis – the company behind eFront learning solutions. Epignosis has from the very beginning aimed to serve the small and medium enterprise as a learning technology provider and “democratizer” for elearning. How so? With eFront the vision was that every single business could have access to quality, affordable, easy-to-use, technology tools – and Epignosis has always been committed to producing value-for-money technology solutions for the small and medium enterprise. For more on our vision and where it stems from please check this post!
eFront began its life as the brainchild of the Epignosis team in 2003, and now boasts over 500K downloads for the open-source edition, 500+ customers and 40+ partners worldwide. With the introduction of the TalentLMS, Epignosis has now added SaaS to its offering and meets the user requirement for the following:
- Saving time (‘coz none of us have enough of it!)
- Cloud powered (which is really about convenience)
- Reusing content quickly and easily (seriously, anyone can do it with Talent LMS)
- Conventions-based (that means fewer settings, fewer bugs, and increased productivity)
- Suitable for mobile devices
- Simple, but not simplistic
For more on the Talent LMS
Today we would like to announce the public-beta release of TalentLMS, our brand-new lean LMS that, quite simply, just gets the work done. TalentLMS is a cloud-based, lean LMS with an emphasis on usability and easy course creation. With TalentLMS we wanted to create a better learning experience in every way that actually matters – and we are excited about this new offering. If you would like to participate in our beta program please request a beta key by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The product focuses on small organizations. There are a number of obstacles that prohibit small organizations from using elearning. To be productive, small businesses need a number of tools and several related services such as setup and maintenance, course creation and the support of end-users. All these require ample time, resources and money. It comes as no surprise that most small organizations find elearning a non-viable pursuit and prefer on-job or informal training methods.
With TalentLMS we tried to answer one main question:
How can we provide real value to small organizations through elearning?
We have a prevailing hypothesis that is the basis of everything we did with TalentLMS. This hypothesis has to do with both elearning and the environment in which a small company needs to adapt and grow. Our main hypothesis is this: “for a small organization to adopt elearning we first and foremost need to make it a super lean experience”
But what defines a lean experience? There are a number of different ways to approach lean. Indeed, we had to expand our main hypothesis to view the problem from different angles. Here’s how we approached the problem and what you can expect from TalentLMS:
TalentLMS is optimized around efficient time usage. Time is in short supply and time management is central to beating work overload and being more efficient. Efficient time usage is a solid base to support long-standing growth. We know that small companies have overworked people with multiple roles. We wanted to make their lives easier.
How you benefit:
Self-explanatory UI, fewer configurations, fewer steps to complete anything, increased retention, minimized risk.
Forget creating courses from scratch. With TalentLMS you can create courses by transforming and reusing content from various sources to tell interesting stories with enhanced learning attributes. Reuse content from presentations, YouTube, Wikipedia, Slideshare, Scribd and many more sources. Create courses in a few minutes rather than a few days.
How you benefit:
Reuse material from your current presentations, word documents, videos or any online material from blogs to social sites. We transform the content to optimize the viewer experience.
TalentLMS is based on conventions. A convention is a well defined default that works in most cases. Conventions mean fewer settings, fewer problems and increased productivity.
How you benefit:
Minimize time to be productive, improved user experience, increased productivity.
TalentLMS lives on the cloud. Cloud is really about convenience. You can start or stop your learning portal immediately, you can grow as much as you like, you can minimize your costs and have a completely automated environment. In other words, a cloud solution lets you concentrate on results and not technology.
How you benefit:
Pay as you go, start/stop whenever you want, scale as needed, we handle all updated-upgrades-backup.
Most tools offer different experiences between mobile and desktop interfaces. We don’t. TalentLMS is built from scratch to work with modern devices and is optimized around them.
How you benefit:
The same optimized universal interface fits all devices
Simple, not simplistic
Lean does not mean simplistic or sub-optimal. We constantly debate and balance the pros and cons of an added functionality. We want to keep it really simple but at the same time powerful and adaptable.
How you benefit:
All the tools you need in one convenient package
It feels good to have good partners, and certainly CLICK&LEARN is one of them. A company which was founded in 1998 and based in Linz, Austria, CLICK&LEARN is known within the EU for its innovative methods in implementing knowledge-based training programs and learning solutions with state-of-the-art technology. Recently eFront interviewed Roland Kaimberger, CLICK&LEARN’s General Manager, on how partnering with eFront has helped the organization with its business objectives.
eFront: Please tell us a little about your organization
Roland Kaimberger: CLICK&LEARN specializes in designing and developing web-based training and eLearning solutions for staff development and knowledge sharing. Our web-based training and eLearning solutions are customized according to the needs of: international staff training, distributed groups of learners and/or experts, multilingual and/or multimedia based learning content, web based content sharing or knowledge exchange, blended training programs and distance education. Our clients include SMEs (Small and Medium-sized Enterprises) as well as large and public organizations.
eFront: How did eFront address CLICK&LEARN’S business objectives?
Roland Kaimberger: We were looking for a lean LMS with long term potential and we found that in eFront. Previously we used different LMS’ depending on our customer’s requirements. Now, with eFront, we can offer our customers one LMS which is customized according to their needs, is very usable and includes premium functionality like talent management.
“We chose the award-winning eFront LMS as the most optimal solution for our customers”
eFront: What were the most common project challenges when implementing eFront for customers and how were they overcome?
Roland Kaimberger: eFront helped solve the most common project challenges for us for example, by simplifying multiple course mapping, offering flexible course scenarios and multi-tenancy capability. But most importantly, eFront offered enterprise features (such as branch management, skills management, jobs management, etc.) making it an affordable, high value and robust enterprise solution for our clients.
eFront: So why did CLICK&LEARN choose eFront over other LMS’ in the market?
Roland Kaimberger: Primarily what was important to our organization was meeting our client’s needs for a reasonably priced solution that was suitable for medium enterprises. eFront offered everything we needed together with enterprise functionality and a lot of customization options – meaning that our client’s get everything they require in the one LMS. Also, eFront is SCORM certified, and is well known for its extensible architecture and wide range of modules that extends its functionality. Lastly I would have to mention its excellent usability – it is a very intuitive software.
We are also continually impressed with eFront’s fast and ongoing support. So kudos to the eFront team (editor’s note: for more on eFront’s support check this post)
eFront: So if you don’t mind us asking, which clients of yours are now using eFront?
Roland Kaimberger: We have a number of high-profile organizations now using eFront’s LMS, the most prominent being EDUCATION GROUP, ENGEL Austria, Lenzing AG, MIBA, voestalpine, LENZING (LEADER FIBER INNOVATION), C+C Pfeiffer, Tips, Smurfit Kappa, Nettingsdorfer, Wirtschaftsverlag and u.v.m.
“The company ENGEL uses eFront as e-learning and knowledge platform since 2010 and the staff encouragement is consistently positive. Thus, at present there are globally more than 2200 people involved in the e-learning platform and part of the worldwide ENGEL competence management. The eFront application and the prompt product support allow us to efficiently implement our demands in training and knowledge management of the company ENGEL.” ~ Dr. Wolfgang Maresch, MBA (ENGEL Austria GmbH) – Director of Training Services
eFront: What has been achieved through your involvement with eFront?
Roland Kaimberger: We are very proud of the two gold medals we were awarded at LearnTec 2012, a leading international trade fair for learning technologies. One of those awards was the “provider of the year 2012” in the category ‘Learning Management System’ representing eFront, and the other was in the category ‘Customized Content Creation’.
eFront: That’s great! Thank you so much for your time!
eFront‘s LMS V3.6.11 is out! The open-source edition can be downloaded from our site and for eFront Enterprise and Educational editions please contact eFront directly! Here I list a few of the great new features:
With the new version, users have the flexibility to create a completely different customized environment for each branch – with a specified URL, theme (logos, colors) and language. Users are able to access a branch using the specific URL and administrators can define which users will be able to login using their particular branch’s URL. Conveniently, users that auto-register through a particular branch URL are automatically assigned to that branch.
More information about this feature is available on eFront’s wiki page.
Also new in branches is the ability to show courses/catalogue based on the initial login branch so that the course catalog is branch-specific. For more on branch editing visit this page.
Instructor has greater independence & flexibility
In eFront’s Enterprise version instructors have greater independence and administrators are freed up as they may be excluded from the lesson/course creating process. Instructors are now able to manage their own lessons and courses according to their needs. Note that new courses can only be assigned to the branch to which the instructor belongs.
Also, with the update to certification (for more on certification, see below), instructors can now change the course completion date for a student manually – allowing instructors the flexibility to match changing needs.
Certification – customized & personalized
Users can now personalize their experience with the ability to add their own key rather than the automatically generated number. And with the latest update to certification users can also retake their courses without losing their certificates (courses can be reset before the certificate expiration date).
Also with certificate extensions, instructors/administrators can easily customize by adding text to appear in the certificate as well as some predefined date variables related to the date that the certificate was issued.
Big announcements at eFront are coming in the next 8 weeks, so stay tuned!
- Firstly, we witnessed a strong movement towards cloud, lean and mobile solutions for eLearning. Cloud comes with several benefits for the client and allows one to offer a more integrated and smoother experience. The lean movement offers simpler, focused solutions that emphasize practicality over completeness.
- Secondly, as we were making progress on eFront-4 it became obvious that the core changes were of such a magnitude that it would be impossible to offer compatibility with the current eFront offering. A transition would have offered little benefit for current customers since they would have to start their implementation from scratch.
After several years in social media / communications for new technologies, with a focus on the elearning industry (and of course, after having been an avid reader of the eFront blog myself!), I have now joined the eFront team. And I’m excited to be part of the eFront community!
- ‘Coz we don’t believe busy people should spend their time learning how to use their platforms – eFront has an easy to use, intuitive user interface that will maximize the time spent learning new skills (not the platform!).
- ‘Coz we don’t believe elearning needs to be a mystery, eFront is open in nature. All eFront editions come with the source code. That means you can fully customize eFront to suit your organization’s unique needs, integrate it with other existing systems, customize its interface, and add new functionality through eFront’s modular architecture. Or we would be happy to do all these for you – just let us know
- ‘Coz we believe customers have the right to try before they buy.
- ‘Coz we believe our customers should have help whenever they need it. Getting clients reflects on a company’s sales team whilst retaining clients is a sign of a well-run company where team members across different departments must collaborate to create a rewarding customer experience. eFront‘s success is largely due to the fact that eFront clients always have someone on hand if something goes wrong, and eFront’s customer retention rate reflects that at around 95%. And if that’s not convincing enough, check out our customer testimonials for more!