A Guide for Administrators
In the face of the "new normal" of decreased budgets and increased expectations, many administrators are turning to technology to enhance teaching and learning while mitigating the consequences of consecutive years of budget cuts. Mobile learning, in particular, has attracted a great deal of attention for its potential to engage students by leveraging the technology environment they have grown accustomed to in their non-school lives; its potential to scale personalized learning and reduce the digital divide; its potential to extend learning beyond the four walls of the classroom and the limited hours of the school day; and its potential to enable new pedagogies based on the affordances of these devices that students already carry at their fingertips.
Still, the field of mobile learning is still emerging and there are many questions to be addressed when contemplating a mobile learning implementation:
- How do we create a program with a sustainable impact on teaching and learning, rather than a superficial adoption of the currently "hot" technology
- What are the steps involved in implementing a mobile learning program?
- How do we optimize the investment of our technology dollars?
- How do we choose devices, networks, and software for our implementation?
- What are the security considerations in implementing a mobile learning program?
- What are the policy considerations for a mobile learning program?
- What are the professional development considerations?
- What are the teaching models associated with mobile learning?
- What are the options for funding a mobile learning program?
Based on the experience of pioneering schools and districts, industry experts, and leading scholars in the field, this guide is intended to provide information and context to support administrators in answering these and other questions. This guide contains the following resources:
- An overview of mobile learning
- Best practices for implementing a mobile learning program
- Existing mobile learning implementations
- An outline of the steps involved in implementing a mobile learning program
- Resources including papers, blogs, videos and web sites regarding the various aspects of developing a mobile learning program